Sunday, October 11, 2009

“If only I could turn back the clock”

I am glad that I have killed my wife. Yes, I admit. I have killed Leila, that unscrupulous woman. She gave me a whole lot of hell throughout her life. Finally, everything is solved that fateful day. I can say that it has been the happiest day of my life.

It was during the eight o’clock news that I finally made my decision. It was like an instinct, something she said triggered the anger inside me and there it happened. Just like that, I used my bare hands and strangled her with all my mighty strength. I should have used that wire cord of that Tiffany lamp. That would be the justification for what she had done. However, the feel of her neck snapping within my curling fingers as she struggled and struggled helplessly was something that I will never forget. It was something I enjoyed.

The plan of killing my wife had been building since our wedding. Maybe it started on the first night, when we fought in the suite and she went to the desk for a separate room. Our lives have not been like the other ‘happily ever after’ couples. You might be curious about why I have chosen her as my soul mate and said ‘I do’ down the aisle. I was foolish and love is blind, but only until the day I got married. I tried to stay away from her ever since, out of home, working like a bull, coming home late at night. That helped me a little to procrastinate my plans of getting rid of her. This went on for a few years until I was forced to an early retirement, replaced by someone with higher qualifications. I had no choice but to stay at home. My life became a nightmare.

That morning, like her usual routine, she sat in front of the television, watching her eight o’clock news, with her usual cold, half drunk coffee on the side table by her armchair. While I was reading my newspaper, she announced to me matter-of-factly that she has spent all my $100,000 savings to buy a Tiffany lamp. She claimed that the lamp was covered with Swarovski crystal stones from Africa and it even comes with a certificate. She thought it was a good investment for herself since I no longer have a job to support her. My heart blazed with rage. After the forced retirement, I was hoping for a vacation alone, traveling around the world with all the money I have earned. My plans were thwarted because of her insensible decision to drain off my whole savings for a stupid Tiffany lamp. In an impulse, I snapped.

Seeing her body laying lifelessly made me regain my senses. Like a bird released from a cage, I tasted freedom! She is dead, finally gone! No more spiteful words spearing through the ears, no more endless complaints, no more heavy chores, no more fierce insults and mostly, no more mother-in-law coming to tell her how to control her husband. I buried her body in the backyard that night and came up with the excuse that she decided to leave me for another man. My life was as perfect as the blue sky, until the police came knocking at my door.

It was a slight mistake which has caused me to lose my eternal freedom. If only I have realised she stored a hidden camera in the room and her incessant mother pursuing the case with the police, I could have savoured the perfect life longer. If only I had killed her mother as well. If only I could turn back the clock.

Pua Yu Min
Age 17
October 2009
SMK Damansara Jaya

No comments:

Post a Comment